The Edward Ginsberg Center for Community Service and Learning

The Ginsberg Center offers a limited number of vehicles for student organizations doing community engagement to request. While we do not offer vehicles for community-engaged courses, we have provided other options for instructors below. If you have any questions after reviewing this page, please contact us at

Requesting Vehicles through the Ginsberg Center

Who may request a Ginsberg Center vehicle?

UM does not rent to individual students.Students can use UM vehicles if they have an affiliated account through a sponsored student organization account.

Any student organization on campus may enter into a contract with us and request our vehicles.

When should I request a Ginsberg Center vehicle?

Vehicle Requests must be made 72 hours in advance.

Will I always get a vehicle if I request one?

We try to accommodate all reasonable requests but we reserve the cars to be used for Ginsberg programs as a priority. Starting this year we are working with a tier system for vehicle requests. All organizations on campus may request vehicles but you will be placed in either tier 2 or tier 3 depending on the organization and your needs.

Who may drive a Ginsberg Center vehicle?

Only drivers who have applied online and have been approved by Transportation may drive Ginsberg vehicles.

Who can be a passenger in a Ginsberg Center vehicle?

Only other persons in your group or affiliated with your program may ride in a Ginsberg Center vehicle.

Can I drive by myself?

You may reserve a vehicle if you are the only person going to your site, but please carpool whenever possible. If necessary, you may be assigned to carpool with someone else. You will receive that person's name and contact information with your approval of your vehicle request. It is your responsibility to arrange a meeting place and time.

Where can I drive a Ginsberg Center vehicle?

Only to and from the location designated by your program coordinator or group leader.

Driving University Vehicles

Where can I park?

You CANNOT park in any Gold Permit, UM Service Vehicle, or Handicap spaces. You MAY ONLY park in UM Business Vehicle spaces or regular parking spaces. If you are dropping off a vehicle, please park it in the Hill street structure. If there are absolutely no spaces available, you may try the Church St. structure.

Does the University pay for parking tickets or moving violations?

NO! You are responsible for all tickets AND towing fees! Furthermore, we get records from Transportation so any tickets that have been lost, thrown away or ignored will be made known to us and if it is not paid by the person who signed out that vehicle, that person will lose all driving privileges.

Where do I get gas?

If you are driving a vehicle as part of a Ginsberg program, please do not buy gas; you may fill up the vehicles at Transportation Services. There are directions to Transportation in your car's binder. If you are driving a vehicle as part of a student organization, you are responsible for replacing the amount of gas used in the vehicle. MSA and the Ginsberg Center does not cover the cost of your gas.

Either way, do not return the car empty! There must be at least a half tank of gas in the car when you return it.

Can I drive in bad weather?

If the weather conditions are very bad, call the Transportation Coordinator before you come to pick up your vehicle (763-3548). If we decide weather conditions are too bad we will cancel all vehicle use. It is your responsibility to inform your site contact that you will not be coming in. Please listen for school closings on the radio.

What do I do if I'm sick?

It is your responsibility to contact your service contact, and the Transportation Coordinator, if you will not be coming in. If you are carpooling with others you need to inform them as well. If you can't get a hold of the others in your group you may call or e-mail the Transportation Coordinator and leave a message.

What happens if I don't follow the rules?

Driving a University Vehicle is a privilege not a right! If you fail to follow any of the rules you may lose your driving privileges!

Arranging Vehicles for Community-Engaged Courses

The Ginsberg Center does not manage vehicles for instructors teaching community-engaged courses or programs.
  • The University offers multiple options on their Transportation website, though many or all of these transportation options may have been disrupted during the Covid-19 crisis.
    • Faculty can rent vans/buses through the University.
    • UM does not rent to individual students. Students can use UM vehicles if they have an affiliated account through a sponsored student organization account.
    • Students can use their Mcards for free rides on public transportation via AATA & TheRide, in addition to UM buses. Learn more here
    • The D2-A2 Bus can also be an option for students doing work in Detroit.
    • If a faculty member wants to cover the cost of vehicle rentals for students, you can establish an account students could then use.
  • LSA Faculty can use CEAL-Ride, managed by the Residential College, which provides transportation support for Community-Engaged LSA courses.