Each year at the Ginsberg Center, we get to work with incredible students, staff, and faculty who want to make a positive, tangible impact in local, nationwide, and global communities. As you develop relationships, identify challenges and social issues, and move towards action, consider the points on this checklist. We offer advising and consultation on how to take the points of this checklist and apply them to your course, organization, or project.
Before You Engage:
- Learn more about the community and the issue with a critical eye towards history and context.
- Research existing community-based efforts, paying attention to the role of those impacted in the creation and sustainability of these efforts
- Assess ways you can contribute to those existing efforts (time, talent, treasure).
- Consider how your own social identities and experiences influence your understanding of these issues and may impact your contribution.
During the Experience:
- Engage with respect, compassion and humility.
After the Experience:
- Reflect and ask, What did I learn? How did the experience challenge what I thought I knew? What do I need to learn more about?
- Consider how you will continue to engage as an active citizen.