There has been growing scholarship on community engagement that is shaping the field and can help inform your community-engaged teaching, research, and service. Below, we share a truncated list of journals that are also a great venue for publshing your own community-engaged scholarship. (Click here to explore more journals).
- Contact us at email@example.com or if you have any questions about these resources.
- Use our Support Request Form to request a consultation.
- Join our Academic Partner mailing list to stay informed about upcoming events and opportunities!
General Focus Journals
- Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning
Published by the Ginsberg Center, online, includes peer-reviewed research articles. We have also compiled a bibliography of often-cited articles from the journal that have significantly influenced community engagement in higher education.
- Gateways: International Journal of Community Research and Engagement
Online journal published by University of Technology-Sydney's Shopfront and Loyola University-Chicago's Center for Urban Research and Learning. Includes peer-reviewed research and practice-based articles that are not peer-reviewed.
- International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community EngagementPublished by IARSCLE (national organization), online, includes research articles, conceptual articles, and reviews
- Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship
Published by the University of Alabama, online, includes peer reviewed research articles by faculty, staff, students, and community partners
- Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagment
Published by University of Georgia, online, includes research articles, stories from the field and reflective essays
- Journal of Public Scholarship and Higher Education
Published by Missouri Campus Compact and Missouri State University, includes invited papers and scholarly articles
- Partnerships: Journal of Service-learning and civic engagement
Online journal published by North Carolina Campus Compact and UNC-Greensboro, includes invited and submitted articles
Topical Focus Journals
- International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship
Online journal that focuses on original research on engineering design and pedagogy related to service-learning and social entrepreneurship
- Journal of Community Practice
Based in Social Work, this online interdisiplinary journal includes peer-reviewed research, as well as case studies, curriuculum development, and program evaluation.
- Public: Journal of Imagining America
Online journal of the national organization that promotes community engagement in the arts, humanities, and design.
- Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education and Action
Online journal published by Johns Hopkins University Press, includes original research, policy and practice, community perspectives, tools, theory, and methods.
Undergraduate Focus Journals
These journals specifically allow undergraduates to share their experiences and learning from community engagement.
- Undergraduate Journal of Service-Learning and Community-Based Research
Online journal published by the Center for Service Learning and Community-Based Research at Pennsylvania State University--Berks. It is a refereed, multidisciplinary, online undergraduate journal publishing intellectual and reflective work on service-learning and community-based research.
- The International Undergraduate Journal For Service-Learning, Leadership, and Social Change
Online journal published by Governors State University. Accepts work that discusses the development of a service-learning project and impact on the community served. Includes case studies and reflections on service-learning and the development of personal leadership. The final issue of this journal was published in Fall 2020.