There has been growing scholarship on community engagement that is shaping the field and can help inform your community-engaged teaching, research and service. Below, we share a truncated list of journals that are also a great venue for publshing your own community-engaged scholarship.
If you would like the comprehensive list, or to work with a Ginsberg staff member on incorporating these resources in your work, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
General Focus Journals
- Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning
Published by the Ginsberg Center, online, includes peer-reviewed research articles. We have also compiled a bibliography of often-cited articles from the journal that have significantly influenced community engagement in higher education.
- Journal of Higher Education and Engagment
Published by University of Georgia, online, includes research articles, stories from the field and reflective essays
- International Journal of Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement
Published by IARSCLE (national organization), online, includes research articles, conceptual articles, and reviews.
- Gateways: International Journal of Community Research and Engagement
Online journal published by University of Technology-Sydney's Shopfront and Loyola University-Chicago's Center for Urban Research and Learning. Includes peer-reviewed research and practice-based articles that are not peer-reviewed.
- Journal of Public Scholarhsip and Higher Education
Published by Missouri Campus Compact and Missouri State University includes invited papers and scholarly articles.
- Partnerships: Journal of Service-learning and civic engagement
Online journal published by North Carolina Campus Compact and UNC-Greensboro which includes invited and submitted articles.
Topical Focus Journals
- International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering, Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship
Online journal that focuses on original research on engineering design and pedagogy related to service-learning and social entrepreneurship.
- Journal of Community Practice
Based in Social work, this online interdisiplinary journal includes peer-reviewed research, as well as case studies, curriuculum development, and program evaluation.
- Public: Journal of Imagining America
Online journal of the national organization that promotes community engagement in the arts, humanities and design.
- Progress in Community Health Partnerships: Research, Education and Action
Online journal published by Johns Hopkins University Press which includes original research, policy and practice, community perspectives, tools, theory and methods.
Undergraduate Focus Journals
These journals specifically allow undergraduates to share their experiences and learning from community engagement.
- Undergraduate Journal of Service-Learning and Community-Based Research
Online journal published by Pennsylvania State University Berks' Serivce Learning Center. It is a refereed, multidisciplinary online undergraduate journal publishing intellectual and reflective work on service learning and community-based research.
- The International Undergraduate Journal For Service-Learning, Leadership, and Social Change
Online journal published by Governors' State University. Accepts work that discusses the development of a service-learning project and impact on the community served; case studies, and relfections on service-learning and the development of personal leadership.