The First Year Community Engagement Cohort provides incoming first-year and transfer students opportunities to participate in weekly community engagement opportunities, education & reflection, and community building in an effort to determine their own purpose and direction in becoming leaders and active citizens! The cohort meets weekly from October through December. We invite any first-year and transfer students to apply, no previous experience necessary - just an interest in working towards positive social change!
There are 10 weekly cohort gatherings throughout the semester on Mondays from 6-7:30pm in the Asubuhi Lounge in West Quad. These gatherings are where learning, personal growth, and connection to your fellow wolverines happens.
Weekly gathering dates: 10/4, 10/11, 10/18*, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15, 11/22, 11/29, 12/6
*Optional cohort meeting, Fall Study Break
- Students can expect the following by participating in the FYCEC:
- Attend weekly gatherings to learn about community engagement, active citizenship, and social change.
- Discover and participate in community engagement opportunities (outside of weekly cohort meetings) for the duration of the semester.
- Explore social and civic identities, personal goals and motivations.
- Build community and connect with other students.
- Create a personal portfolio to present at the FYCEC Showcase at the end of semester.
The application is available on Maize Pages and is due Friday, September 10th. Applications will be evaluated based on the applicant's demonstrated interest in community engagement and social change, availability of schedule, and strength of written application.
Please contact Brendan Gallagher at email@example.com with any questions.