As an Associate Director, Kate contributes to the strategic leadership of Ginsberg as part of the executive team and leads Ginsberg’s work with academic partners. In this role, she works to facilitate, expand, and sustain partnerships with centers and schools across U-M to support high impact community engaged learning. Kate provides consultation to faculty, academic program staff and graduate students to promote equity-focused approaches to community engagement in a range of academic contexts including courses and academic programs. She also supports faculty in the development of their community-engaged research and scholarship and serves on the editorial team for the Michigan Journal for Community Service Learning.
Kate's approach to faculty development and academic partnerships is informed by her long-standing work in equity and justice focused teaching, consultation, and facilitation. At Michigan, Kate was Assistant Director for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at CRLT where she worked with faculty and academic units to develop their capacity to incorporate equitable practices across all domains of teaching. Kate also brings over 15 years of teaching experience in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies at public research universities including Indiana University-Bloomington and The Ohio State University. Her enthusiasm for Ginsberg’s mission is rooted in her own experience as a community-engaged teacher, researcher, and scholar. She has a record of public engagement as a community organizer and as a strategist for a successful grassroots legislative initiative in the state of Ohio.
Kate loves riding bikes with her family, cooking, thrifting, and finding other Buckeyes at Michigan.
Contact Kate if you want to learn more about:
- Consultation for your community-engaged course, research, or program
- Collaborations between Ginsberg Center and UM departments, schools, centers, and central units
- Consultation on developing community partnerships
- Preparing undergraduate and graduate students for community engagement
- Funding opportunities and approaches to grant-writing for community-engaged research or teaching
- Publishing your community-engaged scholarship or the Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning